Pros And Cons Of Using Bleach To Remove Mould From Hard Surfaces

When it comes to removing mould, many people turn to bleach without question. It's just what you use to remove mould, right? While bleach is an effective mould remover, it is not the only mould remover. Borax, vinegar, and tea tree oil are just a few of the other compounds that can be used to fight mould. Further, bleach does have a few disadvantages as a mould remover. The next time you have a mouldy patch to address, weigh these pros and cons before reaching for your bleach bottle.

Pros of Using Bleach to Remove Mould

It's fast. Some other mould-removing products, such as tea tree oil and ammonia, have to be left in place for a while to kill the mould before you wipe them away. Bleach kills mould very quickly, so you can just spray it on, wipe it off, and be done with it.

It's easy to find. Bleach is sold in nearly every discount store, drugstore and grocery store in the country. It's inexpensive, and you probably already have some in your home, so you don't have to waste time hunting it down.

It also kills bacteria and viruses. If your mould growth is due to water damage, you should also be concerned about the presence of bacteria and viruses on your surfaces. These are often brought in by dirty water. Bleach kills nearby every microorganism, unlike some other cleaners like borax, which may let some bacteria and viruses live.

Cons of Using Bleach to Remove Mould

It gives off harsh fumes. If you're sensitive to the fumes, you may need to wear goggles and a gas mask when working with bleach. This is also a concern if you have children or pets. You should make arrangements for them to stay elsewhere if you're using bleach to clean a large area.

It dries out your hands. Wearing gloves can prevent this problem. However, if you don't have gloves on hand, you might be better off using vinegar or peroxide, which are less drying, to clean small areas of mould.

It can discolor some surfaces. Another common use for bleach is to lighten fabrics. If you're cleaning an area where the bleach is likely to come into contact with dyed fabric or another surface you think might become lighter due to bleach exposure, find a different mould remover product to use.

Bleach is a common household cleaner, and for most small mould problems, it is probably perfectly fine to use. However, you should not use bleach without considering its cons. There are certainly times when another mould remover is a better choice. For more tips, contact a mould remediation company.

Share